FAMILY OWNED & OPERATED SINCE 1966
FAMILY OWNED & OPERATED SINCE 1966
Benedict sand, soil & recycled products are
‘What Sydney’s made of’
Established in 1966, Benedict is an Australian family owned and operated company that has grown from a small haulage contractor, to one of the largest producers and resellers of quarried, recycled and landscape products in New South Wales. Benedict is still growing today, consistently meeting greater Sydney’s needs for civil, construction, landscaping, and recycled products, whilst fast becoming the industry leaders in recycling and resource recovery.
Mission and Values
Our actions are consistent with our values. We do what we say we will do.
To produce, supply and deliver quality materials to the community through innovative and environmentally responsible solutions whilst maximising resource recovery.
To provide high-quality products and services, utilising the best available technologies. To create partnerships with customers, organisations and communities to advance their businesses while promoting sustainability. To be a sustainable organisation committed to the triple bottom line of positive economic, environmental and social impacts which are essential for any healthy business to remain relevant.
Benedict is committed to providing reliable, high quality products and services, maintaining high integrity and high ethical standards, ensuring the safety of our people, actively participating in the community, whilst staying committed to sustainable business practices and the protection of the environment.
With over 50 million tonnes in reserves at our 6 company owned and operated quarries, we are one of NSW’s largest suppliers of sands, soils, gravels and road bases.
When it comes to quality products and services – rest assured. Benedict maintains the highest level of commitment to quality and operational standards – AS/NZS ISO9001 Certification.
OUR PEOPLE ARE OUR BEST ASSET – WE PLACE A VERY HIGH VALUE ON OUR TEAM.
Since 1991, Dana Dupere has been the Co-Managing Director of Benedict. Her primary area of focus is the Group’s Sales, Logistics, Finance and Administration functions.
Ernest Dupere is the Co-Managing Director of Benedict Industries and is responsible for operations and business development with a focus on applying the latest innovative technologies in the industry.
With over 35 years of experience in the finance industry working in both listed and private businesses, Bob Lyon is the CFO of the Benedict group of companies and serves on the Board of a number of these companies.
Jim overseas the administrative and financial side of Benedict Industries and brings over 20 years’ experience in operational and financial C-level roles. He has worked across industries including construction, technology, manufacturing and retail.
In 1997, Brett Jarvis started as a Belrose Excavator Operator and then a Quarry Manager at Menangle Sands. He is now the Group Operations Manager at Benedict Industries and oversees operations at all of the Company’s quarries.
Mick brings a wealth of product, sales and industry knowledge to the role of General Manager – Recycling. He started with Benedict in 2003 as Group Sales & Logistics Manager leading a team of internal and external Sales Executives
Since 1991, Paul Arnold has been the Operations Manager at Mittagong and Appin Quarry that he also owns. Paul has been instrumental in building long term relationships internally and externally resulting in great outcomes for Benedict.
In 2001 David started in internal sales, then progressed to external sales and then ex-bin sales manager. David is now the Group Sales and Distribution Manager, leading the external and internal sales teams. David’s responsibilities include product and market development, and sales strategy.
A Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants, John has practised for over 50 years and specialises in business development, management and tax consultancy.
Steve is Managing Director of Australian Cane Farms Limited, one of Australia’s largest sugar cane farm aggregations based near Townsville in Queensland. Steve is also co-founder of SISL Group, a Sydney based agribusiness focused funds manager. Prior to founding SISL in 2005, Steve was a Director of Rothschild Australia. In a 16 year career at Rothschild he held a variety of posts including Head of Structured Finance and Head of Agribusiness.
Elke is the Group Marketing Manager at Benedict Industries and brings with her 15 years marketing and general management experience and 20 years experience within Benedict. Elke is responsible for marketing strategies that drive growth for the Benedict Group, as well as PR, Events and Sponsorships.
In 1966 Ron founded Benedict together with his wife Margaret. Growing the business from a Haulage Company delivering gravel and aggregates in Sydney to Benedict Industries today, it evolved to become a successful provider of quarried and natural products, as well as a waste recycling company, servicing the greater Sydney Region.
Margaret is fondly remembered as the ‘anchor’ of the family business and was known for her work behind the scenes as the Company grew in leaps and bounds. She diligently managed the administrative requirements of the business and played an important role in HR, book keeping, events and more.
1960 – 1969
- 1966 Started Benedict Haulage at Total Service Station, East Parramatta on 14th February as sub-contractor to Alltrans.
- 1967 Won contract to cart gravel for Forbes Shire Council. This lasted 2 years. Contract price cut in half by incoming contractor – OUCH!
- 1969 Returned to new depot at Total Service Station opposite the Vauxhall Inn at Parramatta.
- 1970 Won the contract for delivery of light-weight aggregate from Litecrete at Homebush Bay to all metropolitan concrete plants from Alltrans.
- 1970 Supply and delivery business developed ex. Hooker Sands (became Rocla at Kurnell) Readymix Quarries, BMG, Pioneer etc.
- 1973 Flemington Markets
1970 – 1979
- 1972 Won cement haulage at Hardies at Camellia which gradually expanded to 6 tankers over time.
- 1974 Started fine sand deliveries to Readymix Concrete at Granville from Ebenezer Quarry then Chipping Norton Quarry.
- 1975 Annus Horribulus – Recession. Litecrete closed, survived by supplying Scoria from Victoria ex Belmore Rail. Lost cement job to TNT Alltrans. Arranged to sell the tankers. Lost depot at Vauxhall Inn. Moved to Smithfield.
- 1977 Sold trucks to the drivers
- 1978 Won sand lease tender at Chipping Norton from Public Works Depot.
1980 – 1989
- 1982 Bought Able Dredging at Mooney Creek thinking to supply central asphalt depot with fine sand – Sand turned out to be terrible!
- 1985 Margaret handed over administration to Dana at Chipping Norton
- 1987 Began sand removal from Port Botany in preparation for liquids berth. Ernest Dupere joined Benedict family
- 1988 Opened Mount Gilead Soil Quarry – just in time for the floods!
- 1988 Sold haulage business (Benedict Haulage) to subcontractors Aymsheen
- 1988 Darling Harbour – Bicentinenial – S&D products
- 1988-1991 “Mount Gilead soil extraction on banks of Nepean River for Lady Dorothy Macarthur Onslow”
1990 – 1999
- 1991 Acquired Menangle Sand and Soil PTY LTD, which came with Menangle, Springvale and Kangaloon sites
- 1992 Purchased Warringah Gravel & Stone at Belrose
- 1993 Dredging Contract Boral Lansvale
- 1994 Purchased Moorebank land which became a sand quarry
- 1995 Dredging Contract Boral Cairns
- 1996 “Order of the Shovel” was initiated
- 1996 Purchased Head office at Belrose
- 1996 Benedict Reclamations commences landfilling at Chipping Norton
- 1998 Late 2000’s Olympic project – Plaque on Olympic drive BSG becomes main landscape remediation supply contractor for the Sydney Olympic 2000 Precinct
2000 – 2009
- 2000 Purchased 50% of Mittagong Sands from Rocla
- 2000 Commenced Sydney recycling Centres in JV with Veolia
- 2002 Belrose SRC (Sydney Recylicng Centers) commenced
- 2003 “Purchased 33-35 Riverside Road – Chipping Norton”
- 2004 Sold Springvale lands to a developer for housing
- 2004 “purchased property at Menangle (Hillcrest Park)”
Commenced Glass Granulates Business – JV Visy
- 2005 Purchased Central Creamery Property
- 2005 Acquired 50% Appin Sands (JV with Paul Arnold)
Lodged an application to permit 350 houses, pub, brewery, accomodation on Creamery Lands at Menangle
- 2006 Cowra Quartz – commenced operating in a JV with Rocla
- 2008 BRC took over the SRC operations
- 2009 Purchased 37-39 Riverside Road Chipping Norton
2010 – 2019
- 2009 Opened Benedict Recycling Rydalmere
- 2010 Granted lease for Sandy Point Quarry
- 2011 Commenced Great Southern Rock – JV with Earth Exchange to run SP Quarry, Purchased Alexandria Recycling Site
- 2013 Closed Rydalmere Recycling Centre Lodged our application to build a marina at Moorebank,
- 2014 Signed a development agreement with Mirvac to build 200 houses at Moorebank
- 2014 Sold the Alexandria property and purchased the Banksmeadow site for recycling Sold Kangaloon property
- 2015 Signed development agreement with MII property for 350 residences at Menangle Marina approval, INTERNAL: Sailing Regatta, Values roll out, Recycling record days inwards
- 2015 Purchased Recycling site in Newcastle, lodged EIS
- 2015 Purchased remaining 50% Mittagong Sands from Rocla
- 2015 Purchased Fyshwick Property in ACT for Recycling
- 2016 Entered JV with Tip It at Smeaton Grange for a recycling Facility